Thursday 12 July 2012

Nispera li huma kollha sew illum!

Day 8 in Malta ----  Yep..that is Maltese!!  Look at me go!  For those who have not mastered this wonderful language it simply says.. "I hope you are all well today!"   OK, OK..that's what they tell me ...like I would know yet ! hahaha

It's day 8... I'm in my apt, still working on the local transportation but boy did I get a lesson today!!  Had our office order a cab so that Karl and I could get some office supplies because we knew that would be cheaper than going thru our office...frugal huh?  smart me huh?  guess I showed them !!   Off to the office but wait....this is our cab?  This new Mercedez with two chilled waters in the back...uh oh...maybe I wasn't as diligent as I thought.... well.. too late to back out now...whisk me away cabbie...seems so inappropriate a term!  Off to the office supply...there for 20 min...of course our driver waited for us...then back to the office... so 10 min ride there...20 at the store...10 back...how bad could it be?  But in my mood of cheapism I checked....oh gosh 18 euros...about $20....well that isn't as bad as I thought...the cab I took this morning to work was 8 euros...2.5 x the distance..so yeah...I knew I got taken...but... it was a mercedez after all...  oh wait !!!!!!  That was one way?????  I didn't want to buy the car, I just wanted a ride !!!!   What do they serve here...princes and kings !!!!    Wow....bottom line was almost $50 for a ride that should have been about $15!!!  wowee...maybe I should pay more attention to detail !!!   Stomach turning...dang ride was almost as much as the supplies....this isn't good...what if the execs find out...they'll think I'm on an extravagant vacation package!!!  Ouch!!  This is painful....  what should I do?????   Oh well...I'd like to think most of my decisions are qualified successes...but this immense failure....well....stand up..face it!!!  Sent a message to my boss....after he accused me of beach hunting he was kind enough to tell me to learn my lesson and move on...whew...feeling better --- still quite upset but hey, I'm learning!!!  The shopping by the way..... here's the store....it ain't no staples here baby !!
And this is a BIG supply store !!
So I get back to the office and whoopie...the three boxes I shipped from the U.S. have arrived.....hmmmmm...wow...what the heck ????
and this is the box that was recommended for shipping...hmmmm
I would term this a fender bender -- in a bumper car area !!! 
I classify this as "DEAD ON ARRIVAL"
I won't even try to open them now....I'll take a suitcase tomorrow and repack one box...then on Monday do a second and on Tuesday a 3rd....some is office stuff...my docking station etc., most is personal but some if fragile...I'm scared !!!   Glad nothing inside is over $10,000!  Oh wait...I don't have anything that expensive ! hahaha....well...we'll see and of course I'll let you know!

Going home...time to take in a little local color...leaving the office at 6...gets dark about 8:30 so I have time...let's go see what's around !!!

Ok!! This is good!! Got my coca cola!!!!  That's important!
Shopping is definitely different here
Same area---more shops
More shops... bet they would take my company card here!!!  OOOPS...bad idea :-)
More shops...do not view full screen..please :-)
Wow...enough fun...time to research more of my area...and the water here is fab!!  As our HR director would say....so.... let's see the swimming hole around here....the following is less than a 5 min walk...
Your fantasy...my reality :-)
Same area..different view...I love how everyone sits on the rope!
Same area -- I can manage here!!
Just a couple of other things to mention here................

Here is Karl and I today in our office...........
He's Swedish..or something !

I had no idea that I had NO hair!!!
Here is me 1 year from now........
Ok, so I'll have to buy a wig to fit the part !!  But see what is next to the right?  yes!! Burger King






Oh yeah!! Feelin good now !!

Ok folks....close to bedtime here....  I head for my room and what!!!!!!  My dog now controls the bedroom????? What's up with that..... sheez...this is a 1 br apt....make room boy!!!

yeah..he sleeps crossways...great !

My best to all.... I've survived a week....  now if I can just survive the traffic.....
Believe it or not, this is a main street!


One more tidbit because I did my first load of laundry today......

Yes this is how we dry clothes because electricity is so expensive!  Now I'm Maltese !!!
My best to one and all..... tomorrow is another day....what will it bring?  where does the adventure go?  what are the sights and sounds?  we shall see because even I don't know....HOWEVER....

I have received a couple of inquiries from one of my earlier posts about meeting a lady at customs...well we have corresponded by email today and here is what she wrote me...........

Hi Mike,

Nice to hear from you and glad that you are settling in. I think we arrived just in time for the heatwave ... 40 degrees yesterday was a bit too hot for my Irish skin and my four-legged furry friend!

I'm not so far from you ... am down by Manoel Island so, yes, maybe we could meet up on Sunday sometime ... it is supposed to drop a few degrees by then... let's see. We could meet by the green area/playground at Qui Sa Sana ... it's very close to you and there is a nice promenade.... maybe best in the early evening when it's a bit cooler ...

Best regards,
Alannah

...... so I accepted ---  what's a fellow to do!!!   ... the adventure continues !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment